S 3 Ep 13 – Making Maple Syrup | Yvonne from CLOCA
Ever wondered about the process of making maple syrup here in Canada? This episode is my very first LIVE on-site tour and interview recording! Come and join me as I speak with Yvonne Storm from the Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA), as she walks us through their beautiful sugar bush at Purple Woods, Ontario. There, they have been producing maple syrup for 47 years. Yvonne explains how to choose which maple trees to harvest sap from, how to tap them correctly, and then takes us through the full step-by-step process in the evaporator room from sap to syrup.
You don’t want to miss:
- All about CLOCA, the important work that they do, the free events they host, and natural areas you can visit.
- Harvesting maple sap: The best time of year for harvest, which trees to choose, and where and how to tap them.
- The tour of the wood-fired evaporator room and the tools they use: Boiling the sap to evaporate the water until it is 66% sugar.
- The filtering and bottling process.
- How the season and cooking time dictate the colour and taste of syrup.
- The history of harvesting maple sap by the Indigenous people and the methods they used.
- The surprising health benefits of maple syrup.
PLUS, Yvonne’s experience and tips for making maple syrup at home!
Links & Resources:
- Register to attend the Maple Syrup event at Purple Woods, March 26-27 and April 2-3: Click here
- ELSA: 7-Day Free Trial of English Coaching App: bit.ly/ELSAxTHENEWCOMERCOLLECTIVE
- ELSA: Link to get 85% off lifetime membership and 40% off 1-year membership: https://elsaspeak.com/inf/thenewcomercollective/
- Download my 50 free tips from newcomers to Canada: What they wish they knew before they moved! bit.ly/freetipscanada
- Follow me on Instagram: @TheNewcomerCollective
Don’t forget to join the Newcomer Collective so you don’t miss out on any of our inspiring interviews and valuable ‘life in Canada’ lessons.
And, if you enjoyed this episode, please let us know by leaving a review on your favourite podcast app – Until next week!