S 3 Ep 19 – Job Search Tips | Hugo from Ireland
Looking for some job search tips? Luckily, this episode’s guest knows all about how best to navigate the Canadian job market!
Hugo O’Doherty is originally from Ireland and he moved to Montreal in 2011. He is also a Product Manager at Moving2Canada: An invaluable resource for newcomers offering endless recruitment & immigration information. Together we chat about life in Montreal, the global Irish community, and how he and his wife had a baby during the pandemic! We also dive deep into resume tips, including how to adapt it for the Applicant Tracking System (ATS); as well as how to access the infamous “hidden job market” in Canada.
You don’t want to miss:
- Life growing up in Dún Laoghaire, Ireland.
- Hugo’s 7 year immigration pathway: IEC Work Permit to Quebec Permanent Residency.
- Living in Montréal and the truth about its European stereotype.
- The importance of getting help from other newcomers, sharing relatable experiences, as well as tried & tested insider information.
- Resume advice: How to navigate the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and stand out from the pile of other job applications.
- Only 15% of jobs are actually posted on job boards… How to access the “hidden job market” in Canada.
PLUS, some bonus homesickness tips!
Links & Resources:
- Join the New to Canada Academy: Learn more
- Connect with Hugo: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Moving2Canada: LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram
- IEC Working Holiday Facebook Forum: Click here
- PR / Express Entry Facebook Forum: Click here
- Download my 50 free tips from newcomers to Canada: What they wish they knew before they moved! – Click here
- Follow me on Instagram: @TheNewcomerCollective
Don’t forget to join the Newcomer Collective so you don’t miss out on any of our inspiring interviews and valuable ‘life in Canada’ lessons.
And, if you enjoyed this episode, please let us know by leaving a review on your favourite podcast app – Until next week!