Sports in Canada: If you’ve grown up religiously following your country’s chosen national sports, it can be a real culture shock when you move to a new country where those sports just aren’t as popular… Enter this episode’s guest, Jack Tanetta from Wales, United Kingdom. Jack was studying at Cardiff University when he met his Canadian now-fiancée and moved to her Ontario hometown in Ontario. In this episode, we discuss Jack’s tactic of using sports in Canada as a tool to meet new people and feel more at home. We also chat about the power of social media for job searching, Canadian weather, and what to expect when driving on Canadian roads…
You don’t want to miss:
- The city of Cardiff and its unbeatable vibe created by Rugby and Football.
- The power of using sports to meet new people abroad (and which British sports you can find in Canada…)
- The pros and cons of both Canadian and Welsh weather.
- Harnessing social media to build your network and find employment.
- Teaching in Canada vs in the UK and the qualifications and visas involved.
- Driving in Canada: The differences between Canadian and British drivers and which rules of the road you should be most aware of.
PLUS, the Welsh language: How to pronounce the longest place name in Europe: “Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch”
Links & Resources: