S 2 Ep 7 – Personal Finances | Jodi from Jamaica
Managing your personal finances abroad is one of those huge and often daunting tasks. Newcomers often watch their savings dwindle as they struggle to find a job. They battle with higher living costs than they’re used to and have to build a Canadian credit score from scratch. This episode’s guest is Jodi from Montego Bay, Jamaica: A self-confessed personal finance geek and the founder of the empowering financial blog, Abundance of Jo.
Jodi shares her story of moving from Jamaica to Vancouver in 2015 to pursue her MBA and tells us her best tips and tricks to get financially ahead as a Canadian newcomer so that we can all live an abundant life.
You don’t want to miss:
- All you need to know about growing up in Montego Bay, Jamaica: Reggae festivals, beaches, waterfalls and spicy food!
- Vancouver vs. Toronto and the go-to Jamaican restaurants to check out in each city.
- Jodi’s experience as an international student in Canada, adjusting to the West-coast rainy season(!) and appreciating the community that has supported her along the way.
- The programs for newcomers that you should be asking about when opening a bank account, applying for a credit card, buying a new car, and more.
- Some simple tips for building your Canadian credit score and how to order your free credit report.
- Top money-saving tips to help you adjust to higher Canadian living costs and how to effectively budget when you first arrive.
PLUS, which budget-friendly apps you should be downloading right now!!
Links & Resources:
- Add ‘Honey’ for free to your internet browser to automatically apply promo codes to your online shopping cart: bit.ly/joinhoneycanada
- Visit Jodi’s Blog and download her free “Know Your Money” guide: AbundanceofJo.com
- Tangerine’s No-Fee Cash-Back Credit Card: Learn More
- Comparison Sites: Jessica Moorhouse | Money After Graduation
- Requesting your credit report: Borrowell.com
- Download the Flipp app to access store flyers and coupons: Flipp.com
- Compare rental prices vs. area: Padmapper
- Download my 50 free tips from newcomers to Canada: What they wish they knew before they moved! bit.ly/freetipscanada
- Follow us on Instagram: @TheNewcomerCollective
Don’t forget to join the Newcomer Collective so you don’t miss out on any of our inspiring interviews and valuable ‘life in Canada’ lessons.
And, if you enjoyed this episode, please let us know by leaving a review on your favourite podcast app – Until next week!