When did you last push yourself outside of your comfort zone? This episode’s guest, Oscar Cecena, has done so time and time again! Since moving to Toronto 8 years ago from Mexico City, he has since built a successful career in FinTech, launched the Immigrants of Toronto podcast, set up newcomer coaching services and published his creative writing in a foreign language. What a busy bee. In this episode, we discuss the different ways that pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone (in even the smallest ways) can make all the difference when starting over in a new country. We chat about life in Mexico City, how he adjusted to the higher cost of living in Canada, which experts to trust, and more!
You don’t want to miss:
- What it’s like to grow up in the most populated city in North America: Mexico City
- How Oscar pivoted from hitting rock bottom with his company’s bankruptcy to starting over in Toronto with his wife (even when they were told they were “too old” to immigrate!)
- 8 years in Toronto: Adjusting to expensive grocery & rent prices!
- How to decide whether to live downtown or commute in from the suburbs…
- The simple question you can ask yourself when wondering which experts you can trust in Canada.
- Comfort Zone: The art of podcasting and creative writing in a foreign language.
- Some small examples of how to get out of your comfort zone and make the most out of your experience!
PLUS, find out which Guinness World Records Mexico City has under its belt… Hint: “It’s close to midnight…”
Links & Resources: