S 1 Ep 11 – Networking | Mahlena from USA
Networking is often plugged as the “must-do” activity in order to achieve success as a newcomer in Canada (no pressure, right?) But what if the idea of networking sends you into a cold-sweaty panic? This week’s guest, Mahlena-Rae Johnson, is a speaker, writer, and comedian who recently moved to Ontario from Los Angeles. She teaches ambitious introverts how to build solid communities and how to pivot to virtual networking now that our lives have moved online. We talk about her life growing up in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, her adult life in L.A., and her journey to Canada in search of a better quality of life as a Black-American woman.
You don’t want to miss:
- Mahlena’s life growing up in the U.S. Virgin Islands and dealing with hurricane seasons.
- What food an American misses most that you can’t get in Canada…
- The effects that Canadian weather and diet can have on newcomers’ bodies.
- Networking in your pyjamas: Simple networking tips for introverts.
- How to leverage the recent shift towards a more virtual world and where to find “your people” online.
- The different ways to use each online platform depending on your networking goals and how to set them up so that more people can find you.
- Tips for in-person networking events: How to prepare before the event so that you set yourself up for maximum success.
PLUS, the biggest mistake that people make at in-person networking events that will waste your time and lead to you missing out on important opportunities.
Links & Resources:
- Mahlena’s website: bit.ly/mahlenaspeaks
- Mahlena on Instagram: @mahlenasguidetolife
- Mahlena on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/mahlena/
- Download our 50 FREE tips from newcomers to Canada: What they wish they knew before they moved HERE.
- Follow us on Instagram: @thenewcomercollective
Don’t forget to join the Newcomer Collective so you don’t miss out on any of our inspiring interviews and valuable ‘life in Canada’ lessons.
And, if you enjoyed this episode, please let us know by leaving a review on your favourite podcast app – Until next week!